Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pretty dresses from the internet

I shouldn't even be looking at dresses at this point in the process. 14 months is way too early to even think about ordering anything, and Econo Boy and I don't even have a venue yet. The kind of dress I would pick for a church wedding is very different from the kind I would pick for an outdoor ceremony. So really, trying anything on at this point would be pretty pointless.

And yet ... last week I went with a friend to her second gown fitting, and after browsing through the racks was struck with a sudden urge to see myself in a wedding gown. So I called a small boutique nearby that carries two designers I'm interested in, and made an appointment for Tuesday morning. Pointless or not, here I come!

In the meantime, here are some of the gowns I've liked best in my internet searching.

This one's an Alfred Angelo. It seems perfect for an outdoor ceremony (which is our first choice provided we find a good place to have one) and I love the contrasting gold embroidery. But will I look good in something so clingy around the hips? Only one way to find out!


This one is also an Alfred Angelo. I really like the off-the-shoulder neckline and the simplicity of the dress. I'm not big into sparkly stuff or giant poofy skirts, and this gown looks very classic, elegant, and non-fussy.


This dress was on the cover of Modern Bride the week I got engaged, and I really liked the soft lace on the shoulders and slim silhouette. But it looks pretty sparkly in the picture. This would probably be a "church wedding" dress.


And finally, this one. I suspect every bride comes across a gorgeous gown she loves but could never afford -- how can you not, with so many bridal magazines flashing $6,000 gowns across their pages? For me that gown is this one by Lea-Ann Belter. I love the flowing train and the cool tie at the back. But a bit of research showed that Lea-Ann Belter gowns retail for around $4000 apiece. Alas!

No comments: