Saturday, February 28, 2009

I've hit a planning wall

The good news first: thanks to my dad's awesome musician-booking skillz, we have now booked almost all of our wedding vendors!

Now the bad news: I'm kind of bored with wedding planning. My married friends tell me this is actually a good sign, that it means I've taken care of things and I'm ready to go. But I'm not sure that's true. Here are the things I haven't done yet.
* Signed a rental contract for plates/glasses/etc. so the caterers actually have, you know, something to serve their food on.
* Figured out where we're ordering the alcohol.
* Chosen a first dance song, or thought at all about what we're going to ask the DJ to play.
* Booked a block of hotel rooms for our guests.
* Figured out what to do about bridesmaids' gifts.
* Picked the actual music we want the musicians to play at the ceremony.
* Chosen ceremony readings.
* Found wedding shoes.
* Figured out where I'm going to get my hair and makeup done.

With just under 5 months left to go, I know there's plenty of time to get all that stuff done. What worries me is that I have no desire to do any of it. I'm sure at some point I'll be more motivated, but ... I'm sort of over the wedding right now, in part because there's so much else going on in our lives. Econo Boy got an academic job starting next fall, and we're trying to figure out how to maintain 2 apartments affordably so I can finish my own grad degree ASAP and join him permanently next summer. We're also switching phone plans, we just had our piano tuned, and I'm on this weird seafood cooking spree. Suddenly, looking up yet another recipe for shrimp scampi on Allrecipes.com seems like way more fun than doing yet another search for "colorful pink bridal bouquet" on Google images.

Image from Brides.com

Have any of the rest of you ever hit a planning wall? Did it come back to bite you, or did you get past it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Where is his job??? You should post on fb or email me :)

very married said...

you should totally just take a week and forget about weddings! i feel that way sometimes and i haven't even chosen a ceremony site yet.

i just try to remember that the only thing i need to end up married at the end of the day is an officiant, a certificate/license and the fiance!

Meg said...

Um. Yeah. I'm over it.

Bride in Exile said...

Thanks, Meg and very married -- it's good to know it's not just me. Sometimes I feel guilty for not being all "yippee! My wedding! I get to marry my one and only in front of all of our friends!" and instead thinking dark thoughts about driving down to the courthouse and just getting it over with so we can focus on all the other stuff in our lives. I think in the end I'd be sorry if we did that, but boy does it sound tempting some days!