Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wine Wednesday: It's ... done?

Whoa. We ordered our wines.

To be perfectly honest, I had no intention of ordering any wine until at most 6 weeks before the wedding. But a major sale at a Denver-area liquor store prompted us to action. Econo Boy's wonderful mother played a huge role in this: she alerted us to the sale, called the store to verify that some of our top picks were being discounted, and moreover is going to pick up the cases for us and store them in a nice, cool basement room with a consistent temperature.

3 of our picks are ones I've blogged about before: the Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, the Gimenez Riili Torrontes, and the Casillero del Diablo Cabernet. What else is on our wine list? The Domaine des Rozets Coteaux du Tricastin.

Yes, this was seriously the only picture I could find. Image from cellartracker.com.

This charming French red is a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Cinsault. The family friend who threw us the wine-tasting party brought this as his recommendation, and it was love at first sip for me -- truly one of the best light reds I've ever had. It thought it tasted like dried cherries, sweet and a tad acidic, with a bit of spice and mineral sharpness on the finish to keep it from being flabby.

As much as I loved this wine, I wasn't sure if we'd be able to serve it at the wedding. Our friend got it at a rather obscure liquor store, and my online searching indicated that it could be tough to find. Imagine my delight when my future mother-in-law reported that her local store (the one running the sale) carried it!

Now I just hope we have some left over after the reception ...

Incidentally, I'm not going to stop blogging about wine just because we've picked our wedding wines. My love for wine goes way beyond wedding planning, and there are still many untried bottles in our closet and some great wines I've tried but haven't written about yet. So stay tuned, and keep posting suggestions for new ones to try -- I love having excuses to try new bottles!

No comments: