Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wine Wednesday: Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling

Several weeks ago, I wrote with great sadness and regret that I had to break up with a longtime friend -- Pacific Rim Dry Riesling. I think PRDR and I could reconcile if it said it was truly, sincerely sorry for the flabby, metallic wine it delivered at our last cookout, but in the meantime, I needed a distraction. A gorgeous, sleek, vibrant Dry Riesling to make me forget my bruised heart.

Enter Sweet T, CaitStClair, and their mutual recommendation: Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling. (Think of it as a blind date set up by friends.)

Image from www.ste-michelle.com

I picked up the 2007 vintage the other week, and I can give it an unreserved rave. Guys, this is an awesome white wine, especially for the price (I paid $12). The Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling is seriously juicy, with flavors of pears, green grapes, and just a little bit of peach. But it's not overly sweet or syrupy; it has that wonderful lean, crisp taste that I adore about dry Rieslings. Serve this to dinner guests at cocktail hour and bask smugly in their praise for your good taste. Pour this for yourselves one night with scallops, or salmon, or grilled veggies and pasta with olive oil, and glory in the good life. In short, this dry Riesling has gone on my "great buys" list, and I look forward to a long and rewarding friendship with this Washington vineyard!

3 comments:

CaitStClair said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you liked it! I never would have thought of it if Sweet T hadn't mentioned it. Of course, now your description has me wanting to go get a bottle...Hmmm...Yeah...I'll be back. :-)

Bride in Exile said...

Even better news -- Econo Boy and I just moved, and the wine store around the corner has this in stock for a great price! I'm starting to like my new neighborhood :-)

Words and Steel said...

oh yay! i'm glad you enjoyed it :)