Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wine Wednesday: Segura Viudas Brut Reserva Cava

About a month ago, I mentioned that Econo Boy and I ordered the Segura Viudas Brut Reserva Cava for our wedding, 100% untasted by us. It was on mega-sale, it had glowing critical reviews, and we've liked every Cava we've tried, so we figured what the heck, let's go for it.

Ever since then, I've been trying to track it down at area wine stores, with no luck -- until I stumbled on the website for a wine store about 15 minutes' drive away. They didn't have it in stock, but I put in an online order, they graciously ordered it for me, and last week I drove out to pick it up. After getting horribly lost, pulling over to ask for directions, and then finding the store more or less by accident, I was on my way home with my long-searched-for bottle of Segura Viudas!
Image from SeguraViudasUSA.com

And? Our gamble paid off. It's delicious. It's almost Prosecco-like in its clarity, but not quite so delicate -- it's definitely got presence. I missed some of the nuttiness I get with other Cavas, but the smooth finish and overall elegance of this wine is a winner. I think it's a perfect pick for a large party because it's well-made and complex, but still refreshing and approachable; it will appeal to a wide variety of palates. I wish I had another bottle right now! (Not all to myself, of course.)

3 comments:

One Barefoot Bride said...

Timely advice! We've been looking for a cava to serve at the wedding, but don't have much experience with them (though we drank a lot in Spain early on....).

Bride in Exile said...

OBB, I haven't had a bad cava yet -- granted I've only tried a handful, but for most of them I've had nothing more to go on than "hey, this is Cava!" Ones we've liked also include:

* Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut
* Rigol 1897
* Marques de Gelida

One Barefoot Bride said...

Great! Thanks for the tips. We're picking up a few to taste test... but I agree: as long as it's bubbly and yummy, it's all good!